Fifty thousand people go to a baseball game, but the game was rained out and a refund was due.
The team was about to send out refunds when someone stopped them and suggested that they send out refund amounts based on the their interpretation of fairness. After all, if the refunds were made based on the price each person paid for the tickets, most of the money would go to the richest people.
Their plan says:
– People in the $10 seats will get back $15, because they had less money to spend.
– People in the $15 seats will get back $15, because that’s only fair.
– People in the $25 seats will get back $1, because they already make a lot of money and don’t need a refund.
– People in the $50 luxury seats will have to pay another $50, because they already have way too much money to spend.
– People driving by the stadium who couldn’t afford to watch the game will get $10 each, even though they didn’t pay anything in, just because they need the most help.